The question I want to ask is about the AgJOBS Program. I want to know what the program entails for migrant workers and the agricultural business. Thus far in my research I have the understanding that it affects them both. What are the benefits and the downfalls for both sides? I know it is not directly relate to education for migrant workers but it does address their rights, how they are paid, whether or not they can obtain citizenship, health care, and general living conditions. I believe there is a direct correlation between these things and the education levels of migrant workers. I think it would be prudent to address why there needs to be a program like this in the first place. The program was born under the Bush administration in 2000, how far have we come to implement the program? How has it affected the agricultural system and migrant workers thus far?
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Research Question Draft
The question I want to ask is about the AgJOBS Program. I want to know what the program entails for migrant workers and the agricultural business. Thus far in my research I have the understanding that it affects them both. What are the benefits and the downfalls for both sides? I know it is not directly relate to education for migrant workers but it does address their rights, how they are paid, whether or not they can obtain citizenship, health care, and general living conditions. I believe there is a direct correlation between these things and the education levels of migrant workers. I think it would be prudent to address why there needs to be a program like this in the first place. The program was born under the Bush administration in 2000, how far have we come to implement the program? How has it affected the agricultural system and migrant workers thus far?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Glenny: You post some interesting work here, and I appreciate the insightfulness of your questions. My only concern, really, is that you seem to have a whole bunch of questions.
ReplyDeleteYou'll want to narrow down on something a little more specific and manageable for your paper. So AGjobs does impact both migrants and businesses, but you might want to decide on one or the other to focus on. Similarly, migrant health, citizenship-status, health-care, and living conditions are clearly related to their ability to achieve an education. But you'd want to focus in on one narrow slice of this pie. Finally, the implementation of the HEP program and its effects on the agricultural system could be interesting as well. But it's not clear to me how this is necessarily related to the other questions that you're asking?
Keep up the good work, just focus in a bit. Otherwise you'll wind up getting too much information, and the project will become unmanageable (considering your time and other constraints).
Glenny,
ReplyDeleteI really like the approach you're taking with your research question. It is an aspect of migrant workers' community that I haven't thought about much up to this point. I have looked into how the pattern of children of migrant workers becoming migrant workers themselves causes a large gap in the advancement of their educational progression as a demographic. This in relation to the AgJOBS program seems very interesting. I do not know much about that this program is or does to support Migrant workers and their rights. If you were to drill down the basics of this program into specific areas that relate to your main question, like Jeremy said, it would help focus your work. Perhaps use the backgrounds you encounter through working with students at HEP to find out if programs like AgJOBS are readily available and helpful in their communities. From this information you can start to draw your focus to one specific angle of the AgJOBS program. I would have to agree with Jeremy that currently your research question is going to create more questions and become very unmanageable quickly. I really look forward to reading more about what you find.
Glenny,
ReplyDeleteI, like Jeremy and Josh think you have hit on a very interesting area here. Have you talked to any of the older students in the HEP program yet about AgJobs? If not I would suggest trying to as well as the instructors in the program they might have quite a bit of insight for you that might help you narrow down a specific aspect for your paper. Ive been seeking to one of the older students there and he has been quite willing to chat with me about his life and how and why he is in the program. That communication really helped me decide on my topic. Good luck and cya wed.